One of the most important tools in a chef’s kit is a knife, and there are different types of kitchen knives that are designed for various purposes. Isn’t it cool to know that so many types of knives are used for just about any food preparation from chopping onions and butchering a cut of beef to opening oysters and slicing bread?
MAHAR Institute Dehradun, the best hotel management institute in Dehradun is discussing and covering all types of knives and their uses so that you can find the right option for your needs next time you prepare food. Before we go further and talk about the types of knives, it is important to understand the parts of a knife. This will help you to identify the uses of your kitchen knives. The names of all the parts are Bolster, Butt, Edge, Handle, Heel, Point, Spine, and Tip.
Some of the common knives used are-
- Bread Knives- These kind of knives are for slicing different types of bread and these knives are made of serrated blades to cut through crispy crusts.
- Boning Knives- Being flexible, semi-flexible and having stiff options, boning knives allow users to separate meats from bones. You can have this knife in a variety of sizes and styles.
- Butcher Knives- These knives are found in butcher shops and restaurants to break down cuts of meats or trimming the fat. Being the best hospitality administration in Dehradun, we provide all kind of knives to our hotel management students.
- Chef Knives- You can see these knives in any commercial kitchen as they are versatile tools that can be used for most cutting tasks.
- Cleavers- These knives have a wide and long blade. They are one of the largest knives that a chef uses.
- Pairing knives- This versatile type of knife is used for preparing food, peeling vegetables and chopping fruits to deveining shrimps and slicing cheese.
Apart from these, many other type of knives are designed for various tasks which are used in our practical classes as well. As we are the top hotel management college in Dehradun, we make sure that our chefs and restaurant managers must learn to select the right cutlery in the kitchen. The knife is one such tool used in the kitchen that is worthy of respect and needs to be handled properly. Being the prestigious college for hotel management in Dehradun, we teach every little important detail about kitchen tools and kitchen etiquette to our students and chefs as well. There is a saying, ‘there is no magic in the knife until the person who is using the knife uses it correctly’.